Saturday, August 28, 2010

Recent Happenings

One, two, go!

1. Last weekend I went to my first Rotary Inbound Orientation. I met 31 other exchange students from the following countries: Denmark, Germany, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, the U.S., Mexico, Colombia, and Argentina. We spent Friday afternoon through Sunday morning in an exquisitely scenic farm/hotel. I felt like I was at summer camp. (I've never actually been to summer camp, but I imagine it to be just like my Rotary Orientation.) We swam, went horseback riding, played soccer, learned some funky dance moves, ate food, and spent a lot of down time getting to know each other. The fact that we all share similar circumstances makes us exchange students become fast friends. I dig that.


2. I had my first real tennis lesson on Wednesday, but I'm not going to tell you about that. I'm going to tell you about the event preceding it. Long story short, my neighbor's mother offered to pay for my membership to the club in exchange for English lessons. My heart skipped a beat when I heard the offer! Of course I accepted her proposal, but I felt kind of guilty taking money from a generous woman, in exchange for work that I knew I would enjoy. But after thinking about it for awhile, I discovered a new perspective. After recalling a day in the first week of my exchange when she told me how badly she wanted to learn English, I began to realize how lucky I was to have been born in an English-speaking country, and that I might as well share my good fortune with anyone who shows interest. The biggest reason why I know that I'm going to enjoy this experience, is that she is truly eager to learn.


Everybody in Brazil wants to learn English. I don't know exactly why, but I have some theories. My host dad told me that whenever an American businessperson comes to Brazil, the negotiations are done in English, not Portuguese. The ability to speak English gives people a leg up in workplace. Even our Rotary Orientation which featured students from nine different countries was conducted in English. However, I also think there is something about the language that just captures people's interest. Barbara's mom doesn't need English for any vocation, she simply wants to learn for her own enjoyment -- which, in my opinion, is an excellent reason.


I like our agreement because it’s mutually altruistic. ‘I’ll scratch your back if you scratch mine.’ It’s a perfect system. My neighbor isn’t asking me to be forever indebted to her. Although I absolutely consider what she’s doing to be a favor, (tennis lessons are not cheap), I still maintain the fact that she presented to me the opportunity to ‘earn my keep.’ Everybody likes to feel useful, and I’m no different.

Before I came to Brazil, I entertained the notion that later in my life I might want to teach English as a second language, to young children in unfortunate areas. I have friends and family who have taught in other countries, and it seems like the kind of job that would both open doors for other people and give me a lot of personal satisfaction. Teaching my neighbor will give me incredibly useful 'hands on' experience. If my first pupil ends up succeeding with the language, I will have the confidence to pursue this kind of endeavor in the future.


It was a good week.


If anyone knows anything about teaching English as a second language, please email me at frankiej84@hotmail.com. I have ideas about which direction I will take, but I am very, very open to suggestions.
Thank you very much for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment